We provide here the full version of the Deep Sea Conservation Coalition leaflet, October 2014, which records the current practices, the current law, and the current changes in law and practices being sought by the Deep Sea Conservation Coalition with respect to deep sea fishing in UK and EU seas.
» Campaigns » 2: Reform of Common Fisheries Policy
- Deep Sea Conservation Coalition deep-sea fishing campaign
- Marinet writes to Defra about MMO and Dutch trawler’s illegal fishing
- Managing Fisheries in the Public Interest, a Report by the New Economics Foundation, March 2015
- Selling the Silver : The enclosure of UK fisheries
- Marinet provides the EU Commission with advice on the principles which should govern its review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- Marinet provides ICES with full advice regarding the principles to be observed in the review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- Marinet provides ICES with initial advice on the principles which need to be observed in the review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- EU Commission informs Marinet of a “review” of MSFD Descriptors
- Marinet paper to OSPAR, 12th September 2014, on Descriptor 3 (commercial fish and shellfish stocks) of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- Pew Trust’s preliminary comments on “EU fishing opportunities 2015”
- How to Farm a Better Fish
- Up Frenchman’s creek: A case study on managing commercial fishing in an English Special Area of Conservation and its implications
- We provide here the Marinet response to the “Castle Debate” on the outcome of CFP Reform, held in London on 4th March 2014
- Defra asks: Should fisheries be managed by the UK or EU? Marinet’s reply
- Fisheries reform and the restoration of fish populations can be achieved by “collective rights” management regimes, says Prof. Arnason
- Marinet statement to Westminster Forum, 10th September 2013, on what real CFP Reform means, and must achieve
- Marinet writes to ICES to ask whether it can endorse statements made in the NFFO press release of 22nd July 2013
- Marinet writes to NFFO to question the correctness of their Press Release of 22nd July 2013 that the “North sea is teeming” with fish once more
- Correspondence on Fishing Subsidies with EU President Barroso and his Cabinet
- Commissioner Damanaki outlines Fishing Subsidies reform to Marinet
We provide here the text of a letter, dated 13th March 2015, sent by Marinet to the UK Minister for Fisheries concerning illegal fish by a Dutch trawler and the resulting prosecution.
Click on the image below to download the NEF report.
We provide here a copy of Emma Cardwell article for the Land Magazine, Issue 15 Winter 2013-14, titled “Selling the Silver : The enclosure of UK fisheries”, which outlines how the UK fishing industry has fallen into the hands of a very small, select group of owners.
We provide here a copy of the letter, dated 26th September 2014, which Marinet has sent to the EU Commission concerning the need for a “strong definition” of MSFD Descriptor 3 which governs commercial fish and shellfish stocks.
We provide here a copy of the letter, dated 13th September 2014, which Marinet sent to ICES in order to inform ICES of the scientific reasoning and need for a strong working definition of Descriptor 3 of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Descriptor 3 defines of “good environmental status” for commercial fish and shellfish stocks”.
We provide here a copy of the advice, dated 29th August 2014, rendered by Marinet to ICES in connection with the workshop ICES ran on 4/5th September 2014 in response to a request from the EU Commission to ICES for advice concerning a review of the wording and working definition of MSFD Descriptor 3 which […]
We provide here a copy of the advice, dated 26th August 2014, supplied to Marinet by the EU Commission concerning its review of MSFD “good environmental status” Descriptors, and Descriptor 3 in particular which relates to commercial fish and shellfish stocks.
We provide here a copy of the Marinet Agenda Paper present to the OSPARConvention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic made up of representatives of the Governments of the 15 signatory nations. ICG-MSFD meeting in London on 12th September 2014 which presents the case against moves to debase Descriptor 3, […]
We provide here the full text of The Pew Charitable Trust’s “Preliminary Reaction to Commission’s Communication Concerning a Consultation on Fishing Opportunities for 2015 July 1st 2014.”
We provide here a copy of the June 2014 National Geographic article on fish farming, titled “How to Farm a Better Fish”. This article looks at the issues surrounding fish farming, and possible developments which could make the industry environmentally sustainable.
We provide here the full text of an article by Dr. Jean-Luc Solandt et al. titled “Up Frenchman’s creek: A case study on managing commercial fishing in an English Special Area of Conservation and its implications.”
The report can also be read in a printable PDF format.
Marinet submission to the UK Government (Defra) on the public consultation (January 2014) as to where the “Balance of Competence” between the UK and the EU best lies in the management of fish stocks. We provide here the Marinet submission.
We provide here a summary of the paper presented by Professor Ragnar Arnason, Iceland University, to the 2013 ICES Conference. This paper outlines the measures, procedures and thinking necessary to restore global fisheries to health, and encompasses the idea of “collective rights” entitling communities to own access to fish stocks and to thus have an […]
We provide here a copy of a letter dated 9th August 2013 which David Levy, Marinet chair, has written to the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) to ask whether ICES can endorse the upbeat view of the NFFO (National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations) that fish stocks in the North Sea are […]
We provide here the text of a letter from Marinet chair, David Levy, asking the NFFO to clarify the distinction between the NE Atlantic and the North Sea in their claim that fish stocks are once again “teeming”, to clarify whether the NFFO believes that fishing subsidies should now, under the current EU reform process, […]
We provide here a series of letters relating to the correspondence with Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission, and his Cabinet concerning the manner in which fishing subsidies have been granted to the EU fishing fleet and industry from the European Fisheries Fund (EFF). The EFF is currently undergoing reform, to be renamed the […]
Following Marinet’s letter of 6th May 2013 to Manuel, Barroso, the President of the European Commission, the EU Commissioner for Fisheries has outlined to Marinet how she, Maria Damanaki, believes EU fishing subsidies should be reformed. We provide here a copy of her letter dated 20th June 2013, along with a transcribed version as the photocopy […]