We provide here proposals published by Marinet, October 2016, which set out the principles that need to govern reform of UK fisheries management following Brexit. These proposals are grounded in an analysis, also produced here, of the seriously depleted nature of the fish stocks in UK seas and the reasons for this.
» Campaigns » Fisheries
See below the contents for a brief synopsis of each item on this page
- Marinet publishes proposals for the UK fishing industry following Brexit
- ICES report on condition of Sea Bass stock, June 2016
- Fishing levels around the world are seriously under recorded
- EU Fishing in Crisis : Politicians are wilfully breaking the law
- GM research produces plant containing omega-3 fish oils
- IUCN Report on European Red List of Marine Species, June 2015
- Different methods of commercial fishing examined and explained
- Management of European Sea Bass: UK Parliament 2014 debate
- Deep Sea Conservation Coalition deep-sea fishing campaign
- Marinet writes to Defra about MMO and Dutch trawler’s illegal fishing
- Managing Fisheries in the Public Interest, a Report by the New Economics Foundation, March 2015
- Selling the Silver : The enclosure of UK fisheries
- Marinet provides the EU Commission with advice on the principles which should govern its review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- Marinet provides ICES with full advice regarding the principles to be observed in the review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- Marinet provides ICES with initial advice on the principles which need to be observed in the review of MSFD Descriptor 3
- EU Commission informs Marinet of a “review” of MSFD Descriptors
- Marinet paper to OSPAR, 12th September 2014, on Descriptor 3 (commercial fish and shellfish stocks) of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- Pew Trust’s preliminary comments on “EU fishing opportunities 2015”
- How to Farm a Better Fish
- Up Frenchman’s creek: A case study on managing commercial fishing in an English Special Area of Conservation and its implications
We provide here the text of the ICES report, published June 2016, into the condition of the European Sea Bass stock. Commercial fishing has taken the stock below the level for a safe spawning stock biomassThe amount of living matter. This is therefore a different measure to numbers of organisms. So, for example, there is […]
We provide here a copy of Catch reconstructions reveal that global marine fisheries catches are higher than reported and declining by Daniel Pauly and Dirk Zeller, January 2016. Publisher: Nature Communications. For viewing online, see http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160119/ncomms10244/full/ncomms10244.html
We provide here a series of reports, principally written by the New Economics Foundation, which demonstrate that in the years since CFP reform in 2014 (i.e. in 2015 and 2016) EU Fisheries Ministers have been setting catch levels for many of the commercial fish stocks in the Baltic and Northern European seas which are clearly […]
We publish here an article from the journal Metabolic Engineering Communications, titled “Field trial evaluation of the accumulation of omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in transgenic Camelina sativa: Making fish oil substitutes in plants”, published in April 2015.
We reproduce here the IUCN Report on the status of all marine species in European seas and, in particular, those threatened with extinction. The report also considers the management policies necessary to both restore and maintain the health of all marine species in European seas. European Red List of Marine Fishes (4MB pdf file)
We provide here 3 articles written by the Safina Center, USA, about different methods of commercial fishing. Trawls — Bulldozers of the Ocean Gillnets — The Entanglers Dredges — The Bottom Scrapers Additional information on fishing gears is also available in The Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution, 25th Report “Turning the Tide”, (Addressing The […]
Management of European Sea Bass: UK Parliament 2014 debate. We provide here the link www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm141203/halltext/141203h0001.htm and also the text of the debate that took place in the UK Parliament on 3rd December 2014 regarding the management of the European Sea Bass stocks.
We provide here the full version of the Deep Sea Conservation Coalition leaflet, October 2014, which records the current practices, the current law, and the current changes in law and practices being sought by the Deep Sea Conservation Coalition with respect to deep sea fishing in UK and EU seas.
We provide here the text of a letter, dated 13th March 2015, sent by Marinet to the UK Minister for Fisheries concerning illegal fish by a Dutch trawler and the resulting prosecution.
Click on the image below to download the NEF report.
We provide here a copy of Emma Cardwell article for the Land Magazine, Issue 15 Winter 2013-14, titled “Selling the Silver : The enclosure of UK fisheries”, which outlines how the UK fishing industry has fallen into the hands of a very small, select group of owners.
We provide here a copy of the letter, dated 26th September 2014, which Marinet has sent to the EU Commission concerning the need for a “strong definition” of MSFD Descriptor 3 which governs commercial fish and shellfish stocks.
We provide here a copy of the letter, dated 13th September 2014, which Marinet sent to ICES in order to inform ICES of the scientific reasoning and need for a strong working definition of Descriptor 3 of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Descriptor 3 defines of “good environmental status” for commercial fish and shellfish stocks”.
We provide here a copy of the advice, dated 29th August 2014, rendered by Marinet to ICES in connection with the workshop ICES ran on 4/5th September 2014 in response to a request from the EU Commission to ICES for advice concerning a review of the wording and working definition of MSFD Descriptor 3 which […]
We provide here a copy of the advice, dated 26th August 2014, supplied to Marinet by the EU Commission concerning its review of MSFD “good environmental status” Descriptors, and Descriptor 3 in particular which relates to commercial fish and shellfish stocks.
We provide here a copy of the Marinet Agenda Paper present to the OSPARConvention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic made up of representatives of the Governments of the 15 signatory nations. ICG-MSFD meeting in London on 12th September 2014 which presents the case against moves to debase Descriptor 3, […]
We provide here the full text of The Pew Charitable Trust’s “Preliminary Reaction to Commission’s Communication Concerning a Consultation on Fishing Opportunities for 2015 July 1st 2014.”
We provide here a copy of the June 2014 National Geographic article on fish farming, titled “How to Farm a Better Fish”. This article looks at the issues surrounding fish farming, and possible developments which could make the industry environmentally sustainable.
We provide here the full text of an article by Dr. Jean-Luc Solandt et al. titled “Up Frenchman’s creek: A case study on managing commercial fishing in an English Special Area of Conservation and its implications.”